The three-way quarterback battle at Oklahoma State got a lot less complicated this week. Sophomore Wes Lunt announced Thursday that he is leaving the program.
Lunt won the starting job in spring practice a year ago and started the five games for the Cowboys. He missed at least half of the 2012 season because of injuries. He was replaced by fellow freshman J.W. Walsh in the third game of the year. Junior Clint Chelf started the last four games of the regular season.
In the six games in which he played, Lunt passed for 1,108 yards and six touchdowns with seven interceptions.
“This was not a decision I took lightly, but it is a decision I felt was right for me.” Lunt said.
It appears that the senior Chelf will draw the starting assignment when organized practices begin again in the fall, with Walsh as his backup. Other than TCU, which has suspended quarterback Casey Pachall returning this fall and sophomore Trevone Boykin, who started most of last year in place of Pachall, in reserve, Oklahoma State may have the best quarterback situation in the conference coming into the 2013 season.
Lunt has not announced where he might be transferring. Lunt is an Illinois native, and he was recruited by former Cowboy offensive coordinator Todd Monken, who left before the 2012 season to become head coach at Southern Mississippi.
“We appreciate Wes and we thank him for everything he has done,” said OSU head coach Mike Gunday. “He’s leaving on good terms and is making this decision based on what he thinks is best for his future.”