Just three seasons ago, the Oklahoma State women’s basketball team won only four Big 12 games, and finished next to last in the ten 12-team conference standings. The Cowgirls are ranked No. 8 in the country and are off to a 5-1 start in the conference, which ties them with West Virginia for the top spot in the league standings.
The Oklahoma State women have lost just once in 17 outings this season. The lone defeat was by four points against the Lady Mountaineers of West Virginia, who broke into the top 25 this week at No. 18.
The opposite effect has happened to the Texas Tech women this season. After going 11-7 (21-11 overall) and finishing tield for third with Oklahoma last season, the Lady Red Raiders are winless through six conference games this season and just 6-11 for the year. Tech has yet to win on the road this season in four away games, three against Big 12 opponents.
Here are some more fun facts and stats designed to bring you up to speed on Big 12 women’s basketball this season:
- Four Big 12 teams are ranked in the women’s top 25 this week: Oklahoma State (8). Baylor (12) , West Virginia (18), Iowa State (20).
- The Kansas women held the previously No. 7-ranked Baylor Lady Bears to 30 percent shooting and upset Baylor 76-60 on Sunday at Allen Fieldhouse. The loss snapped the Lady Bears’ 53-game Big 12 winning streak and handed them their first conference loss this season.
- Oklahoma State owns the current longest winning streak in Big 12 games at 18 games.
- Six Big 12 women’s teams are in the top 59 teams in the country in RPI (Ratings Percentage Index).
- The Big 12 opened conference play a little over two weeks ago with road teams winning seven of the first eight games. Since then, however, home teams have won 17 out of 29, including all five games this past weekend.
- Baylor leads the conference in scoring, averaging 90 points a game, which ranks third nationally. The next best team in the conference in scoring is Oklahoma, averaging 10 points less per game than the Lady Bears.
- Baylor senior Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 and the country in individual scoring, with a 31.1 average. Sims is also second in the conference in three-point shooting, hitting 43 percent of her long-range shots.
- Freshman Jadda Buckley of Iowa State leads the Big 12 in three-point shooting on 17 of 27 for 54 percent.
- Baylor’s Sims has already been to the free-throw line 147 times this season, almost twice as many times as anyone else in the conference, and has made 121 of them for 82 percent.
- Iowa State leads the Big 12 in attendance at women’s games. The Lady Cyclones are averaging almost 9,500 at their home games.