With the strength of the teams in the Big 12, schedule strength has never been an extenuating problem. If anything, it has been the nonconference schedule of the league teams that is at issue.
That should not be an issue next season, however, with teams like Alabama, Florida State and Auburn on the schedule.
There are four schools nationally that will play three teams in 2014 that participated in BCS bowl games last season. Three of those four teams reside in the Big 12.
According to Big 12 officials, the nonconference schedule in 2014 includes 11 teams that played in postseason bowl games during the 2013 season. Big 12 teams will play schools that won the past five BCS national championship, including both teams that played in the final BCS Championship in January. Kansas State, the 2012 Big 12 champion, hosts 2013 national championship runner-up Auburn in addition to games at Baylor and at Oklahoma in 2014. Oklahoma State’s chedule includes 2013 national champion Florida State at Cowboys’ Stadium in Arlington the last weekend in August, Baylor and Oklahoma. West Virginia plays Alabama in Atlanta in the season opener for both teams and has Oklahoma and Baylor at home.
Here are some other interesting football factoids that help pave the way for spring football 2014 and the new season this fall:
- The Big 12 has had five diferent conference champions in the past five seasons: Baylor (2013), Kansas State (2012), Oklahoma (2011), Oklahoma State (2010) and Texas (2009). That is half of the 10 teams in the conference. Here is how the Big 12 compares with the other power conferences: Acc (four of 14 teams), Big Ten (three of 12 teams), SEC (three of 14 teams, Pac-12 (two of 12 teams).
- All 10 Big 12 teams return at least one quarterback on their roster with game experience.
- The Big 12 had six consensus All-Americans iun 2013. That was the most of any of the BCS conferences.
- Since the conference formed in 1996, the Big 12 has had 102 All-American selections. That is the second most of any conference.
- In the two seasons the Big 12 has played a round-robin schedule, the Big 12 champion has been determined in the final week of the season.
- For the fourth consecutive season, Big 12 offenses in 2013 averaged more than 30 points and 400 yards a game, and for six of the past seven seasons.