Entering Week 13, the final week in the 2014 regular-season, there are a few things we can say for certain regarding the weekly Big 12 baseball Power Rankings.
Either the Oklahoma State Cowboys or the TCU Horned Frogs are going to win the conference crown, surprising Kansas has a lock on the No. 3 position and defending league champion Kansas State has clinched the cellar spot and is about to complete a first-to-worst 2014 campaign.
Oklahoma and Kansas State were in a battle for the eighth and final spot in this year’s Big 12 postseason tournament, That ended this past weekend when K-State’s three losses to league-leading Oklahoma State conceded the final spot in the conference tourney to the Sooners.
All other positions within the conference standings are up for grabs.
Texas and Texas Tech are deadlocked in a fourth-place tie at the moment, both with identical 11-10 conference records. West Virginia, which is at Texas Tech this weekend, would have been right there, too, if it weren’t for suffering three devastating losses at the hands of red-hot Kansas over the weekend.
Seventh place is still in play as well, depending on the outcome of Oklahoma’s series with Oklahoma State and how Baylor does at home hosting TCU.
Big 12 Baseball Power Rankings For Week 13 Of The 2014 Season
(Position change from last week indicated in parentheses)
- Oklahoma State Cowboys (N/C) – Win two of three from in-state Bedlam rival Oklahoma this weekend and the title and No. 1 conference tournament seed is theirs.
- TCU Horned Frogs (N/C) – The Frogs will face a stiff test at Baylor this weekend, but they still have an outside chance to tie or even win the regular-season crown.
- Kansas Jayhawks (N/C) – What a season so far for the Jayhawks, who the league coaches projected to finish last in the league. KU ends up the regular season outside of the conference at Michigan.
- Texas Longhorns (+1) – The Longhorns have dropped from first in the Big 12 and fourth in the nation to almost out of the top 25, the result of losing seven of its last nine conference games. Visiting Kansas State is coming along just at the right time to stop the bleeding in Austin.
- Texas Tech Red Raiders (+1) – Before West Virginia was swept last weekend at Kansas, the upcoming series at Texas Tech was looking very interesting. Both teams had been on recent hot streaks. Home cooking and the week off last weekend will likely secure a fifth or even a fourth-place finish for the Red Raiders.
- West Virginia Mountaineers (-2) – Poor showing at Kansas pretty much doomed the Mountaineers to this final resting place for 2014.
- Baylor Bears (N/C) – In a position to spoil TCU’s title chances this weekend. Off last weekend, but took two of three at Oklahoma the weekend before.
- Oklahoma Sooners (N/C) – Sooners somehow managed to steal a game from TCU over the weekend, but their season has been highly disappointing.
- Kansas State Wildcats (N/C) – Easily the biggest shock of any Big 12 team this season. Pitching has been downright awful. Horns will be extremely fortunate not to suffer a third straight series sweep this weekend at the hands of Texas.