History would suggest that the Texas Longhorns – with a record 35 appearances in the College World Series and six national championships and a half-dozen runner-up finishes in the CWS – are a team of destiny and, as long as they stay alive and kicking in this year’s NCAA postseason, are more than capable of adding a seventh championship banner.
Having coach Augie Garrido on your bench is a tremendous asset, as well. The longtime Longhorn coach has won five national championships in baseball with two different teams (Cal State Fullerton is the other).
Wednesday nights 1-0 win over UC Irvine was Texas’ record 84th win in College World Series history. The victory also leaves open the possibility, although not a very high probability, that Texas could face TCU in an all-Big 12 national championship series.
Oh, well, we can fantasize, can’t we?
In order for that unlikely scenario to become reality, Texas and TCU would both have to win two games over Vanderbilt and Virginia, respectively.
Plus, TCU still has an elimination game to get through against Ole Miss on Thursday night before Virginia becomes a concern.
A few more Texas notes and some quotes from the College World Series to keep your spirits high if you’re pulling for the Longhorns:
- C.J. Hinojosa’s home run to score Texas’ only run in its 1-0 CWS victory over UC Irvine was the first home run hit in the CWS since Hunter Renfroe went yard on June 13 last year for Mississippi State.
- The 1-0 shutout by Texas in the CWS was the first since 1985, when Oregon State whitewashed Indiana by the same score.
- The Longhorns are 33-28 all-time in College World Series elimination games.
- Texas has allowed two or fewer runs in seven of nine postseason games this spring.
- The Longhorns’ C.J. Hinojosa on hitting only his second home run of the season, the game-winner, against UC Irvine:
“I didn’t think it was very good odds. But there are times when a nine-hole hitter does it, and you never think that he would,” Hinojosa was quoted as saying by Big12Sports.com. “I mean baseball is a game that you don’t know exactly what’s going to happen and you can’t predict anything. Same thing could happen any given day at any given time.”
- Texas reliever Travis Duke has two saves all season, and both have come in the Longhorns last two CWS games.
- There have been 21 shutouts and seven one-run games in the NCAA postseason this year.